Monday, September 22, 2008

Dysfunctional Community

A friend of mine has described the Upper West Side (Jewish-particularly Orthodox) dating community as dysfunctional. It's very close-knit and people tend to socialize and date within the community, yet are unwilling to settle down. I think that this trend mirrors a larger trend within NYC (and other urban areas), namely that young singles are committment-phobic and insatiable. There's gotta be something better (eg a partner) around the corner. Besides, being single is so much more fun!

For young observant Jews (not me, not so much...well kind of), however, the delay in getting married is starting to be labeled as a "crisis." Yesterday, a documentary addressing this subject aired on NYCTV. Here's the trailer:

I haven't yet watched it (that's what DVR is for!)

1 comment:

Mind of MadMan said...

OK this is my first read and I tell you a bipolar can spot another bipolar in a minute..
Cycle up!!!