Sunday, June 27, 2004

Ending the War on Terrorism

Below are some interesting thoughts from Thomas Friedman at the NYT. He proposes a headline of "Bush Administration Calls an End to the 'War on Terrorism'" as one he'd like to see during his 3-month sabbatical to write a book. What he has to say here is sage..... [parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...I *LOVE* Simon & Garfunkel...When's their next concert?....*end tangent*] Here's the quote:

Bush Administration Calls an End to the "War on Terrorism." No, I haven't taken leave of my senses on the way out the door. I realize that we have enemies and they need to be confronted. But I do not want this to be all that America is about in the world anymore, and that is what has happened under this administration. I don't want the rest of my career to be about an America that exports fear, not hope, and ends up importing everyone else's fears as a result. I don't want it to be about explaining to young Chinese why my government can't give them student visas anymore. I don't want it to be about visiting U.S. Embassies around the world and finding them so isolated behind barbed wire, they might as well not be there at all. Defeating "them" has begun to define "us" in too many ways.

America is so much more than just "Anti-Al-Qaeda Inc." — but our whole identity in the world, and too many aspects of our way of life, are getting contorted around that mission. If we're really having a relevant presidential campaign, I'll come back and find the candidates debating, not who is the "toughest" guy — the jungle is full of them — but who can be the toughest guy while preserving the best of what we had and the best of who we are.


Friedman is correct about this Administration's obsession with defeating terror. Perhaps the obsession is interfering with the ability to implement anti-terrorist measures effectively. I don't think a "war on terror" is the answer, but the U.S. certainly has a great deal of catch-up to play in terms of intelligence (e.g. far too few Arabic speakers and Middle East experts) and security for all its citizens. Could someone possibly identify the goals which the war in Iraq has successfully (or even semi-successfully) met?

Israel prevented 12 suicide bombings in the month of June. There has not been a suicide bombing in 3 months. Security for citizens (Jews and Arabs alike) is paramount and difficult though it may be, executing proper security measures necessitates stripping people of some of their freedoms. Ethnic background is inevitably a factor in how highly someone is suspected, simply based on experience, not racism.

I was in Israel on September 11, 2001. My family and friends were terrified for me. I was *GLAD* I was there and not in the States. I felt *SAFER* there and still *DO* feel safer there. After all, I now live in the place where utter chaos erupted three years ago... And I am quite pessimistic about what the future holds and what are enemies are no doubt planning... Maybe I will make aliyah. There is no place like home...

1 comment:

Esther Kustanowitz said...

It's so interesting how people react to Israel. I wish I could say I felt safer there than here. The truth is, I don't feel all that invincible anywhere, which is probably a good thing, as it keeps me from going on reality shows like Fear Factor and The Swan. But seriously, I was in Israel during a spate of bombings the March after 9/11 and felt very unsafe at the randomness of the violence and the proximity of everything (hearing a bomb go off as I was having my makeup done for my brother's wedding...), even after living in NYC during the aftermath of terror on US soil.

Of course, I know there's more to living in Israel than dealing with terror. You also have to deal with Israelis, who aren't the easiest people. I really admire Americans who can get up and move to Israel. I wish I could. I just don't think I'm one of those people.