Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Curse of Being Ordinary...and Other Ramblings

As I meet more and more people in this crazy city, I keep wondering, what is it that differentiates me from being just another 20-something female living in Manhattan???

A corollary of this is the challenge of identifying myself. I remember when I was in college, it was quite easy to describe myself to new people I met. I go to X University where I am majoring in Y and Z. (I wonder if I'll always have the need to maintain such extreme anonymity!) These days though, it seems that the first question out of a new acquaintance's mouth is: So, what do you do?

What DO I do? Well, it's a complicated answer. I've ended up in an industry that has nothing to do with what I studied in college, and am now working independently for a very small company... ie no office, no benefits... also, no strings attached, which I like! (Sketchy men reading, do not take this as an offer!) But, alas, it does not provide me with a satisfactory "identity" to appease those "so-what-do-you-do?"-ers.

Anyway, I doubt that it's my "calling," but only time will tell. It is unfortunate that books like What Color is your Parachute just seem to rehash the obvious. I know that I need to find a job where I can interact with people, put my persuasion skills to use and not be chained behind a desk all day. While I don't want to sell my soul to the corporate world, I also don't wish to work for pennies for a cause I support (ie ISRAEL). Nor could I waste the majority of my waking hours on something that is utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things... Oh, the agony! {Relax, it's sarcasm}

By the way, it was several years ago that I recognized the quarter-life crisis phenomenon. Why, oh why, could I not have been the one to put it all to paper resulting in a NYT bestseller?

Seriously though, reading through the profiles of the online dating service I use (which will remain unnamed), just underscores to me, either the homogeneity of the community here, or the inability of young people to creatively express their essence. Homogeneity seems like it would be unlikely, here in Manhattan, of all places, but maybe it simply means I am not getting out enough to meet up with people of various stripes, etc.

Long story short, I'm just another disillusioned, overeducated soul wondering what the hell to do with her life!

Hmmmm.... a penny for your thoughts...?? Is anyone out there reading my blog? I really am curious, so please drop a line (comment) to say hello ;)

---

PS I need to find a great (preferably free) site counter, that includes data on where visitors surf in from -- any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anna said...

that would be sitemeter.com. the best advice is to go and check out blogs that you like and see what other people use, there are usally links on their blogs if the service is free. also, different counters measure different things. i have 2 counters and they differ in their opinions about the amounts of hits i get. i don't know why.

Esther Kustanowitz said...

Well, welcome to the joys of trying to self-define in a world where any careers that are risky, unstable or out of the ordinary are viewed with skepticism by stable professionals, even as said professionals harbor jealousy for a life lived outside the box. And of course, I hear you on the Jewish dating service, which I can only assume despite its anonymous status on your blog is probably very well chronicled on my other blog, JDaters Anonymous. (Check it out if you like, and let me know if you have anything to contribute...)

May the blogosphere treat you well.

Karol said...

Definitely use Sitemeter because that is what Truth Laid Bear (http://www.truthlaidbear.com/TrafficRanking.php) uses to track blogs. Also, add your site to Truth Laid Bear (http://www.truthlaidbear.com/addtoscan.php).

Hilary said...

Try sitemeter.com

*singlegalnyc* said...

Okay, so I admit it's Jdate, I guess it was pretty obvious! However, Baruch HaShem, I've met someone *offline* who is really special to me... More about him at a later date :)